The Business Tax is a tax for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business, profession or occupation within the city limits. In order to operate a business based in the City of West Park, you will need to pay the Business Tax. Whether your business is operated from a commercial location or is home based, the Business Tax is required pursuant to both local and state laws. All businesses should comply with zoning codes and inspections.
Business Tax Receipt fees vary from in classification, and many fees are based on variables like "type of business" or "cost of inventory." New business tax receipts are prorated if a business starts on or after April 1. The cost is reduced by 50% of the regular fee.
Licenses are required for three main purposes:
- To identify your business and make sure you are accountable for your actions
- To protect the public health and safety
- To keep track of your finances for tax purposes
Some businesses operate under more than one of nearly 200 business tax receipt categories and are required to have a business tax receipt for each category. Additionally, each location of a business is considered a separate business and requires separate business tax receipts.
Benefits of having a Business Tax Receipt:
- All businesses in the City with Business Tax Receipts are showcased on the City’s website with the name, address, business category and telephone number, if provided.
- At no cost to all businesses in the City with a Business tax Receipt, the City provides a free 96-gallon recycling container and free recycling collection services.
- All small businesses in the City with Business Tax Receipts are eligible to apply for the City’s Small Business Grant. The grant is generally offered annually.
The business tax receipt year is October 1 - September 30. All business tax receipts expire September 30. Renewal courtesy notices are mailed annually on August 1 and payment is due no later than September 30 of each year, to avoid penalties of up to 25%. Failure to receive a notice is not an excuse for nonpayment. Once your payment is received, your Business Tax Receipt will be mailed to you. When you receive your tax receipt it must be posted in a conspicuous place, visible for public inspection. Payment can be made by check, credit card and money order.
To see a listing of Business Tax Receipts in the City, please click here:
< LINK TO PDF >
- REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATION NOTICE (RFQ NO. 19-1212)
For more information, please contact the Permit and Account Analyst at 954-989-2688.