W. Ajibola Balogun was appointed as the City Administrator in May 2010. Mr. Balogun has extensive senior management experience in both the public and private sector. He has served as City Manager for the City of South Miami and Public Works Director for the cities of Opa-Locka and South Miami. Mr. Balogun has also served as Project Engineer for Corzo Castella Carballo Thompson Salman, P.A., where he managed several municipal projects.
Mr. Balogun holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana and a Masters of Professional Studies degree from St. Thomas University, Miami, Florida. Through the National Registry of Environmental Professionals, Mr. Balogun holds registration as a Registered Environmental Manager and Environmental Property Assessor.
Mr. Balogun also served as Task Force Member for the Miami-Dade County Infill Development Task Force; Member of the Brownfields Redevelopment Program for both Miami-Dade County and the City of Opa-Locka; served as President of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Beta Beta Lambda Chapter; Member of the 500 Role Models of Excellence Program since 1993; Board Member of the Stonewood Homeowners’ Association; and member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
The City Administrator performs the following functions:
- Hires and supervises all City employees; directs and supervises the administration of all departments and offices, but not city boards or agencies, unless so directed by the City Commission from time to time.
- Ensures that all laws, provisions of the City Charter, and acts of the commission subject to enforcement or administration by the City Administrator or by officers subject to his or her direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
- Prepares and submits to the commission a proposed annual budget and capital program.
- Submits to the commission and makes available to the public an annual report on the finances and administrative activities of the City at the end of each fiscal year.
- Prepares other reports the commission may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices, boards, and agencies.
- Keeps the commission fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the City and makes recommendations to the commission as deemed to be in the best interests of the city.
- Executes with the mayor contracts, deeds, and other documents on behalf of the city, as authorized by the commission.
- Implements the purchase code and guidelines adopted by the commission for acquisition of goods and services for the City.
- Performs other duties as specified by the charter or as required by the commission.
- Fiscal Year 2021-2022 Adopted Budget BookClick Here
- Fiscal Year 2021-2022 Citizens Guide to the Adopted Budget: 10 Things to Know Click Here
- Contact info for questions regarding the Budget Click Here
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Adopted Budget Message Click Here
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Citizens Guide to the Adopted Budget Final Click Here